Thursday, October 18, 2012

Restless Night


This is a post I wrote in April and never published, since we didn't want anyone to know I was pregnant yet. It may be too much info.  I don't know.  But here it is:

Heidi Murkoff, author of "What to Expect when You're Expecting" is so clever. This is what she has to say of the third month of pregnancy. "As energy levels pick up, you'll soon have more get-up-and-go---and as urinary urges ease, you may have to get up and go less often."

Apparently not always the case. At least not when you drink 32 ounces in the half hour before bed. I did this last night. Evidently, this home I shiver in all day is indeed warm enough to evaporate all the water out of my body. Last night I could not get enough water, and at a very inconvenient hour.

I made trips twice in the last half hour before retiring, and as I got into bed at half past ten, I told Eric, "I will probably get up at least three times tonight." And I groaned.

After the third "get-up-and-go," I decided to have another drink. I had deprived myself before, since I value sleep so highly and now my throat was dry. As I took a sip from my mug, I was intensely surprised that the water was still quite cold. I thought, "What time is it?! Eleven??!!" Then, I couldn't rest until I knew at what rate my water was warming.  I turned on the bathroom light so I could see Eric's side of the bed. The phone wasn't there. I thought of waking him. But that would be rude. I thought of just going to bed. But I wouldn't be able to sleep.

I went downstairs. Two-seventeen people. It turned out my mug is just an incredible piece of water holder. (This was the first time I had used it at the bedside, and it certainly marks the start of a permanent spot for the mug on my table.) I tiredly conquered the stairs and found my way to the bed where upon bumping Eric's arm I felt a small rectangular piece of mobile device stuck there. What had Eric been doing??? I don't know. 

I saved the phone and laid it near the mug on the table. And after quite some time, I fell asleep and dreamed Lucy was old enough for preschool. Nooooo!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment